Computational & Systems Biology 2020-2021
REQUIREMENTS AS PER 2020-2021 CATALOG
Coding requirement: CS110, or CS111, or NICO101+102-counts in place of one of the two non-CSB 300-level Bio courses.
Any three of the following courses:
- BIOL_SCI 323-0 Bioinformatics: Sequence & Structure Analysis - Use of informational and modeling techniques to explore evolutionary and other problems related to the genome. Prerequisites: BIOL_SCI 241-0, BIOL_SCI 301-0, or BIOL_SCI 308-0.
- BIOL_SCI 337-0 Biostatistics - Highly interactive course focused on analysis of ecological data and independent projects using the opensource software program R. Prerequisite: BIOL_SCI 215 or ENVR SCI 202, a course in statistics.
- BIOL_SCI 345-0 Principles & Methods in Systems Biology
- BIOL_SCI 354-0 Quantitative Analysis in Biology - Each module (of which there will be five or six) will end with analysis of a data set acquired from the authors of the studies, with re-analysis and re-plotting of a central result therefrom. En route to this, the course covers the mathematics, physics, and statistics required to produce the plots. The landmark papers include studies in gene regulation, developmental biology, gene sequencing, etc. There will also be aspects of coding, image analysis, random genetic processes, gene expression, cell adaptation, the cell cycle, developmental morphogens, and phylogenomics. Prerequisites: BIOL SCI 215 and 219, and PHYSICS 130-2 or 135-2; or, permission of instructor.
- BIOL_SCI 359-0 Quantitative Experimentation in Biology - This course is taught as four modules, in which students replicate experiments from some of the landmark papers in the history of quantitative biology. Groups of students will work together and learn how to perform experiments in a wet lab setting, perform live imaging, conduct sequencing-based studies, analyze their own data, and present results in a professional manner. Prerequisites: BIOL SCI 354, or permission of instructor.
- BIOL_SCI 378-0 Functional Genomics - Patterns of gene expression and their causes. Prerequisites: BIOL_SCI 215-0, BIOL_SCI 219-0; a course in statistics.
- Chem_Eng_379 Computational Biology - Introduction to the development and application of data-analytical and theoretical methods, mathematical modeling, and computational simulation techniques to the study of biological systems.
2020-2021 Course Offerings in this Concentration
|BIOL_SCI 323-0||Bioinformatics: Sequence & Structure Analysis||Ishwar Radhakrishnan|
|BIOL_SCI 337-0||Biostatistics||Stuart Wagenius|
|BIOL_SCI 339-0||Critical Topics in Ecology and Conservation||Krissy Skogen|
|BIOL_SCI 342-0||Evolutionary Processes||Joseph Walsh|
|BIOL_SCI 345-0||TOPIC: Principles and Methods in Systems Biology||Richard Carthew|
|BIOL_SCI 354-0||Quantitative Analysis of Biology||Madhav Mani|
|BIOL_SCI 378-0||Functional Genomics||Eric Weiss|