Research for Credit
The 398/399 Independent Research program offers extensive, for-credit, hands-on training and research. Assistance in finding laboratories that may be accepting undergraduates for academic year research positions can be obtained through the Science Research Workshop or by contacting the Director of PBS.
BIOL SCI 398 Tutorial in Biology can be initiated at any time and involves:
- Direct mentoring in laboratory research
- Training in experimental/analytical techniques
- Preparation for an independent research project (BIOL SCI 399)
Students can register for BIOL SCI 398 (P/N only) on Caesar without a permission number. If no section of 398 exists for your faculty supervisor, please contact the PBS Program Assistant.
Registration for the first quarter of BIOL SCI 399 requires:
- At least one quarter of BIOL SCI 398
- A proposed independent research project
- Approval of supervising faculty member
- Completed application form, submitted to the Associate Director of PBS
Permissions will be issued only after the above requirements are met. Permissions for subsequent quarters of BIOL SCI 399 can be obtained from the PBS Program Assistant.
For more information on faculty labs and research: Northwestern and Affiliated Research Laboratories
For more information on Honors in Biological Sciences: Honors
For more information on Research Funding Opportunities: Grants and Fellowships
Please note that there can be no remuneration involved when taking BIOL SCI 398 or 399.
Research Library Assistance
- Biological Sciences research guide: contains key resources for searching the Biology literature
- Subject Librarian: Becca Greenstein is your point of contact at the Libraries who can provide research assistance and answer questions about resources. Contact Becca at email@example.com or 847-467-6606.
- Course reserves are short term loans of course materials. Course reserves for Biology courses are held at the Mudd Library service desk
- Requests, Interlibrary Loan (ILL), and document delivery: request items from our stacks or other libraries to pick up at the service desk; scans of articles and book chapters will be delivered to your email.