We in Biological Sciences believe that regular advising within a major is an important aspect of a student's undergraduate experience.
This all starts with declaring the major (including a declaration of one of the several concentrations within it). This can be done by filling out the declaration of major form and emailing it to PBS@northwestern.edu.
Instructions for Biological Sciences Majors
- Download the declaration form and fill out the student and major/minor information sections.
- Save the pdf named as: “<Your Last Name>_<Your Student ID>”.
- Submit the form to PBS@northwestern.edu for department approval. You are welcome to request an advising appointment in advance of declaring.
- The department approver will submit the completed and signed petition to: email@example.com.
The major will have been formally declared when: a currently valid concentration has been noted on the declaration form, we have signed that form, and the form has then been submitted to the WCAS Offices of Studies.
We encourage you, though, to schedule in advance an appointment with Professor Galbreath (firstname.lastname@example.org) for an initial advising session at the same time that you fill out the form. This allows you to ask questions about the major and about future class scheduling.
You will shortly thereafter be assigned a particular adviser within Biological Sciences for the future. We encourage you to meet with your adviser at least annually, and indeed whenever you have questions or uncertainties.
* If you need access to Adobe Acrobat during remote learning, you may obtain a student license here: https://www.it.northwestern.edu/service-catalog/device-management/software/available-software.html
** For advising information during remote learning, please refer to the WCAS website here: https://www.northwestern.edu/coronavirus-covid-19-updates/Back to top