Cell Biology & Physiology
REQUIREMENTS AS PER 2019-2020 CATALOG
The following courses are required in order to receive a Degree in the Program in Biological Sciences with a concentration in Cell Biology and Physiology:
BIOL_SCI 315-0 Advanced Cell Biology - Relationship of shape, structural dynamics, and function with the cellular state and gene expression; cell-to-cell communication. Prerequisites: BIOL_SCI 215-0, BIOL_SCI 219-0; BIOL_SCI 301-0 or BIOL_SCI 308-0.
- BIOL_SCI 325-0 Animal Physiology - Physiological principles and mechanisms responsible for the ability of animals to regulate variables in the steady state. Prerequisite: BIOL_SCI 217-0.
- One of:*
- BIOL_SCI 319-0 Biology of Animal Viruses - Virus structure, synthesis of viral nucleic acids and proteins, the interaction of the viral and cellular genomes. Pprerequisites: BIOL_SCI 215-0, BIOL_SCI 219-0; BIOL_SCI 301-0 or BIOL_SCI 308-0.
- BIOL_SCI 328-0 Microbiology - How microbes interact with their environments, including with humans. Prerequisites: BIOL_SCI 215-0, BIOL_SCI 219-0, BIOL_SCI 222-0; BIOL_SCI 301-0 or BIOL_SCI 308-0.
- BIOL_SCI 344-0 Anatomy of Vertebrates - Vertebrate phylogeny illustrated via comparative morphology; anatomical/ functional and ontogenetic considerations; dissections. Prerequisite: BIOL_SCI 215-0.
BIOL_SCI 355-0 Immunobiology - Nature of host resistance; characteristics of antigens, antibodies; basis of immune response; hypersensitivity. Prerequisites: BIOL_SCI 215-0, BIOL_SCI 219-0, BIOL_SCI 222-0; BIOL_SCI 301-0 or BIOL_SCI 308-0.
- BIOL_SCI 360-0 Principles of Cell Signaling - Emphasis on principles, components, and logic that are common to different cell signaling systems. Modern experimental strategies for studying cellular signaling as well as the implications of disrupting cell communication pathways in disease will be described. Prerequisites: BIOL_SCI 215-0, BIOL_SCI 219-0.
Through these courses, students will gain a detailed understanding of both the internal functioning of cells, and the systems-level processes that sustain living organisms despite highly variable external conditions.
*Reasonable alternatives among BIOL_SCI courses will be considered. You may contact the Associate Director about this.
Back to top